This article explains how to use a SSL certificate with SysKit Point.
Configure URL for Point Web Application
Decide which URL are you going to use for the SysKit Point web application and prepare a SSL certificate required to make a secure HTTPS connection from the browser. This is the URL your users will use to access SysKit Point through one of the supported browsers.
You have different options available depending on which environment you are deploying SysKit Point:
- A Production environment where SysKit Point is connected to your Production tenant
- A Test environment where SysKit Point is connected to your QA/Test/DEV tenant
Deploy SysKit Point to a production environment
In a production environment, it is recommended to use a SSL certificate obtained from a publicly trusted SSL certificate provider and a URL which will be recognisable by your users. We recommend you use a Custom domain for the SysKit Point web application URL, for example:
Use a custom domain for SysKit Point
To use SysKit Point with a custom domain perform the following steps:
- On a public DNS provider create a DNS A record for your custom domain pointing to the Point Virtual Machine's public IP address
- The VM's Static IP Address is obtained during the previous configuration step (Configure a DNS Name during the Virtual Machine setup)
- Obtain a SSL certificate from a publicly trusted SSL certificate provider
- Associate the SSL certificate with the custom domain used for the SysKit Point web application URL
Deploy SysKit Point to a test environment
To simplify the SysKit Point installation on a test environment, we recommend you use an Azure default domain
cloudapp.azure.com for the SysKit Point web application URL. In this case, it is not required to obtain a publicly trusted SSL certificate and there is no additional configuration on a DNS server.
- Check what is the full DNS name of the Azure Virtual Machine provided by your Azure team. It is visible in the RDP Connection file or inside the Azure portal.
- The VM DNS name is configured during the previous configuration step (Configure a DNS Name during the Virtual Machine setup)
- It should look like
- A Self-signed certificate will be created by SysKit Point
Self-signed certificates are by default not publicly trusted; therefore, your connection to Point application may be marked as not private in the browser when accessing SysKit Point URL.
For the SysKit Point configuration, prepare the following information:
- A URL for the SysKit Point web application
- A SSL certificate file in one of the standard formats (.pfx, .p12, .pem)
- Not needed for test environments
If you have additional questions or concerns, please contact us.