This article lists all the requirements to be met before deploying the SysKit Power BI app.
- SysKit Point is deployed
- SQL Server Management Studio is installed on your client machine
- You have the Azure SQL Server name and Server admin credentials on hand
For the Power BI app to access SysKit Point data, you will need to do the following:
- Allow access to Azure SQL Server for Power BI app and client machine
- Create a SQL Server Login and Database User for the Power BI app
- Grant select permission on Power BI schema for the created Power BI user
Allowing Access to Azure SQL Server
To enable the Power BI app to access data in the SysKit Point database, you will need to allow access to the Azure SQL Server. To do so:
- Navigate to Azure Portal and open the SysKit Point resource group
- Find and open the SQL Server resource
- Open Security > Firewalls and virtual networks
- Set the Deny public network access option to No (1) > Save
- Click Add Client IP (2) to allow access from your client machine > Save; this is needed to connect to the SysKit Point database via SQL Server Management Studio
- Set the Allow Azure services and resources to access this server option to Yes (3) to allow access from Power BI App > Save
Creating Server Login and Database User for Power BI App
Before running the SQL scripts listed below, open SQL Server Management Studio and connect to the Azure SQL server holding the SysKit Point database. Learn how to connect to an Azure SQL Database here.
New Server Login
Now that you have access from your client machine to the Azure SQL Server, you can create a new server login for the Power BI app.
Before running the script on master database, modify the password.
CREATE LOGIN powerbireader WITH PASSWORD = 'Password1234!' GO
New Database User
To create a new database user, run the following script on the SysKitPointDB database:
CREATE USER powerbireader FOR LOGIN powerbireader WITH DEFAULT_SCHEMA = PowerBI GO
Grant SELECT on PowerBI Schema
To grant the SELECT permission for the created database user, run the following script on the SysKitPointDB database:
GRANT SELECT ON Schema :: [PowerBI] TO powerbireader
Once you are done with the configuration described in this article, continue with the Power BI app deployment.