This article explains how to enable and configure the Automated Access Review in SysKit Point.
Enable Automated Access Review
To use the advantages of Automated Access Review in SysKit Point, you need to:
- set up e-mail settings
- enable SysKit Point Collaborators role
- configure Automated Access Review with the help of Access Review Setup wizard
Only users assigned to the SysKit Point Admin role can access and configure Settings in SysKit Point.
To start with the configuration, open the Settings > Governance > Access Review screen. Initially, you may find the Access Review settings screen displaying the following warnings:
Clicking the tiles in the Additional Actions Required section redirects to the appropriate settings screen.
Set Up E-Mail
As a part of the Automated Access Review process, e-mails are sent to SysKit Point Admin and SysKit Point Collaborator users. For SysKit Point to be able to send e-mails, you need to configure the sending method. Two options are available:
- Exchange Online
- SMTP - Simple Mail Transfer Protocol
E-mail address set up in this section will appear in the Sent from field in all e-mails sent from SysKit Point.
Exchange Online Settings
Exchange Online has a sending limit of 10000 e-mails per day.
The Exchange Online method enables you to use an existing Exchange account in your Microsoft 365 tenant to send e-mails from SysKit Point. Here, you can:
- enter a valid e-mail address in the Sent from field (1)
- choose whether to save e-mails sent by SysKit Point to the Sent items folder (2); by default, this option is turned on, meaning that all e-mails sent from SysKit Point will be stored in the Sent mailbox folder of the entered Exchange account
- Send a test e-mail (3) to check if the entered e-mail address is working properly
After you click the Send test e-mail button, the Sent test e-mail dialog opens. Here, enter the e-mail address to which you want to send the test e-mail. After a moment, you should receive an e-mail like the one pictured below.
Click the Save button to store your e-mail settings.
Select the SMTP method if you are using an SMTP server in your environment. Here, you can enter the SMTP properties:
Sent from e-mail
Username and Password; in case the Require Authentication option is enabled
You can also choose whether to Use Encrypted Connection (SSL).
You can check if the entered data is correct by sending a test e-mail.
Click the Save button once you confirm that the test e-mail was received.
Enable SysKit Point Collaborators
To enable site owners to perform the Access Review on their sites, you need to enable them to access SysKit Point. To do so, navigate to the Settings > Security > Manage Access screen, and click the toggle to enable the SysKit Point Collaborators role. When the role is enabled, site owners can access SysKit Point to manage their sites and review permissions.
For more information about role-based access in SysKit Point, go to the following article.
Automated Access Review Setup
After you have successfully set up e-mail and enabled the SysKit Point Collaborators role, you can enable the Automated Access Review by clicking the Enable Automated Access Review (1) button available on the Governance > Access Review screen. The Access Review Setup wizard opens, guiding you through the Automated Access Review configuration.
The Access Review Wizard consists of several steps with reports and actions that enable Access Review customization. Let's examine each step in more detail.
The Overview step provides essential information on how the Access Review Setup works. Here, you can see that the Access Review Setup will ask you to:
Create or customize Access Review Policies (1)
Apply policies to Microsoft Teams, Microsoft 365 Groups, OneDrive, and sites (2)
Manage who will get the Access Review task (3)
Additionally, you can find information about:
Access Review policies (4)
To continue to the next step, click the Start button (6).
You can find the Close Setup link (7) on all steps in the Access Review Setup wizard, enabling you to leave the setup at any time.
Set Up Policies
Access Review policies enable you to define different review options, such as review frequency and scope, and later apply them to various Microsoft Teams, Microsoft 365 Groups, OneDrive, and sites. By default, SysKit Point offers a predefined policy - All users and shared files (1). When a policy is selected, the following actions are available in the side panel:
- Edit Policy (2)
- Enable Policies (3)
- Disable Policies (4)
- Delete Policies (5)
Let's edit the existing predefined policy. After clicking the Edit Policy link (2), the Editing Policy dialog opens. The following review policy settings can be defined here:
- Policy Name (1)
- Memberships to review (2) - you can choose between two options:
- Guests Only
- Content to review (3) - you can choose between two options:
- External Only
- Recurrence (4) - set how often the review should be performed
- Content level to be reviewed (5) - you can choose between the following options:
- document libraries & lists
- files & folders
Depending on your selection of what should be reviewed, the descriptions (6) on the right side of the dialog will change. Click Save (7) when you are done editing the policy.
You can also create a new review policy by clicking the Create Policy action (1) in the right-side panel. The New Access Review Policy dialog (2) opens, giving you the possibility to define review policy options as described when editing.
To continue to the next step, click the Next button.
On the Apply Policies step, you can apply created policies to your Microsoft Teams, Microsoft 365 Groups, OneDrive, and sites. To do so:
- select (1) one or multiple resources; you can easily filter them by applied policies with the help of top tiles (2)
- click the Apply Policy action (3)
The Apply Access Review Policy dialog opens where you can:
- choose one of your review policies (3)
- confirm your selection by clicking the Save button (4)
Once you're done assigning policies to Microsoft Teams, Microsoft 365 Groups, OneDrive, and sites, click the Next button to continue to the next step.
The Manage Reviewers step enables you to define users responsible for the Access Review of a Microsoft Team, Microsoft 365 Group, OneDrive, or a site. Here, you can:
- Select one or multiple users (1)
- Remove one or multiple users from reviewers (2)
- Manage Admins or Owners (3)
- Filter out resources without reviewers (4) or otherwise filter the grid with the help of top tiles
- Switch the view (5) - choose between two options:
- Show by Content - root node is a resource with all reviewers shown as child nodes
- Show by Users - root node is a user, with all resources where he is a reviewer shown as child nodes
- Find the number of active reviewers (6) on all Microsoft Teams, Microsoft 365 Groups, OneDrive, and sites
- View users removed from reviewers (7) - you can recognize them by the Not Reviewing status
Click Next (8) to navigate to the next step.
Here you can:
- Set a default policy that SysKit Point will apply (1) when a new Microsoft Team, Microsoft 365 Group, OneDrive, or a site is created
- Define the starting date for Automated Access Review (2)
- Set the number of workdays (3) a reviewer has to complete the Access Review task
- Enable or disable (4) sending of e-mail reminders to reviewers three workdays before the Access Review task's due date
Click the Next button to navigate to the Summary step.
The last step gives you an overview of:
- applied policies (1)
- selected resources (2)
- selected reviewers (3)
- defined review options (4)
Click the Finish button (5) to close the Access Review Setup wizard.
Now that everything is defined, the Access Review will start automatically. To learn all about the Automated Access Review in SysKit Point, visit the following article.